Mermaid Tail Bath Bomb Recipe
CRUELTY FREE / PARABEN FREE / VEGAN FRIENDLY
I still remember watching “The Little Mermaid” over and over… and over again, brushing my long red wig, eating popcorn in front of the TV. I swear it’s been at least a year since I did that…LOL. Mermaids have become such a popular topic these days and I wonder if it’s because we all just wish to be able to walk in another magical world but maybe not with the stake of losing our legs… so the next best thing is pretty much ANYTHING mermaid related. So here I give you the most beautiful of all bath bombs, the Mermaid Tail!
- Digital Scale or Measuring Cups
- Large Bowl
- Small Bowl
- Mixing Spoon
- Rose Oil – 2-3 drops
- Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp
- Blue & Purple Coloring – 2 drops
- Baking Soda – 8 oz
- Citric Acid – 4 oz
- Epsom Salts – 4 oz
- Water – 3/4 tsp
Benefits of Mermaid Tale Bath Bombs
With the ingredients you will be using in this particular bath bomb recipe, you will be getting a variety of benefits for your skin and your mental health! That’s right, some of the active ingredients used such as rose oil has shown to help relieve anxiety and brighten your mood! Rose Oil is rich in vitamins, antioxidants and minerals. One of it’s skin benefiting properties states that rose oil is very moisturizing, making it perfect for dry skin. It’s also perfect for adding natural fragrance to your DIY beauty products, rose oil is meant to promote energy and vitality.
Coconut oil is also moisturizing and helps to lock in moisture all day long. It is also high in natural saturated fats which increases the healthy cholesterol (known as DHL) in your body. Coconut oil is pretty much beneficial all around! Soaking yourself in a hot bath of sweet aroma and coconut oil filled water hydrates your body and benefits your health.
Finally the third holy token of this recipe is our Epsom Salts, Dr. Teals to be exact! In water, Epsom Salts break down and turn into magnesium and sulfate. Soaking in this mixture has been seen to relax the muscles and loosen stiff joints. Making it the go-to after a long workout or sore feet from standing up all day.
- Combine dry ingredients (baking soda, salt, citric acid, and cornstarch) in a large bowl and mix well until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, witch hazel and vanilla extract and stir well. Add essential oils if using.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients a few drops at a time. Mix well with hands (wear gloves if you have sensitive skin). Add powdered dried herbs if using.
- Mixture should hold together when squeezed without crumbling. You may need to add slightly more witch hazel if it hasn’t achieved this consistency yet. I recommend using a spray bottle with additional liquid to evenly add.
- Quickly push mixture into molds, greased muffin tins or any other greased container. Press in firmly and leave at least 24 hours (48 is better) or until hardened. It will expand some and this is normal. You can push it down into the mold several times while it is drying to keep it from expanding to much. Using the metal molds will create a stronger and more effective final bath bomb.
- When dry, remove and store in air tight container or bag. Use within 2 weeks.
Bath bombs are a great way to relax in the tub after a long day of dealing with kids, cooking, and all the other activities that motherhood entails. If you’ve never tried them, I highly encourage it, as it’s one of my favorite things to do at the end of the day.